Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Light Meter for Movie Cameras

  1. #11
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    You are putting yourself at a big disadvantage by having a broken internal exposure meter on your camera.

    Even an internal light meter that is consistently inaccurate the same amount each time, can be used to approximate exposure!

    By shooting a roll or two of film, you can learn in what situations your camera meter is accurate, and what situations it is not.

    More importantly, you learn if your camera meter tends to over or underexpose.

    This information can make it relatively easy to plus or minus your exposure setting while in manual mode.

    So, even if you don't trust the internal meter, it still can get you in the ballpark for starters.

    Shooting without a properly functoning light meter in the camera is like going to the beach without suntan lotion.



    ------------------
    Alex

  2. #12
    MrObvious
    Guest MrObvious's Avatar

    Post


    I totally disagree. Most professionals will laugh at in-camera meters in motion picture cameras. Not me, personally, but I have been shooting 16mm with a camera with a non-working meter for 7 months and I've always had great results. Never gotten a sunburn, and trust me, I burn easily.

    I use a Minolta Spotmeter M at 1/60s for a Beaulieu R16 (with a little compensation in ASA depending on my mood).

    Marc S.

    ------------------

  3. #13
    Richard E. Wrenn
    Guest Richard E. Wrenn's Avatar

    Post

    Yes I do have a manual knob wheel to set the desired exposure on the camera.

    ------------------

  4. #14
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrObvious:

    I totally disagree. Most professionals will laugh at in-camera meters in motion picture cameras. Not me, personally, but I have been shooting 16mm with a camera with a non-working meter for 7 months and I've always had great results. Never gotten a sunburn, and trust me, I burn easily.

    I use a Minolta Spotmeter M at 1/60s for a Beaulieu R16 (with a little compensation in ASA depending on my mood).

    Marc S.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    For a beginner shooting in Super-8, a functioning in camera light meter is an excellent starting reference point.

    Even if that automatic reading is merely a reference point before switching to manual exposure and making a final adjustment.

    16mm negative has double the latitude of Super-8 Reversal Film, so your situation was different.


    ------------------
    Alex

    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 28, 2001).]

  5. #15
    Mr Blackstock
    Guest Mr Blackstock's Avatar

    Post

    I considered buying a light meter because i had been told the internal ones can be unreliable under differing conditions, however, your worries over light depend also on the lens type, where your light source is, etc. I beleive a light meter is an unessesary expence,(a good one costs alot) try going by feel and considering what you want to catch in a shot, to catch the audience eye use lighting!

    ------------------

  6. #16
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, but from what you say:

    18 frames per second = 1 frame every (1/18) 0.05 secs

    If you have a 150 degree shutter then your
    shutter speed will be:

    150/360 x 1/18 = 0.023 seconds.

    Theoretically you could use an ordinary light meter, just always use this shutter speed.

    +/- 1f stop isnt very much to play with.

    The backlight control is supposed to be used to stop sillouettes. Since the internal meter will take a light reading from the bright background (eg: sunny sky), figures in the foreground will come out dark.
    The backlight button will open up the aperature a bit more, so that although the background will wash out, you will be able to see the details in the foreground.

    I hope that helps.

    ------------------

  7. #17
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    me again

    So 0.023 is roughly 1/50 second.

    Cheers

    ------------------

  8. #18
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    > I beleive a light meter is an unessesary expence

    remind me not to hire you the next time i need a dp. ;-)

    /matt

  9. #19
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    What do guys do then for contrast lighting? Isn't more effective of using a light meter, instead of going back and forth between the camera and the place you are adjusting the lights from? Is it me or I am do only one that make sure i have 2 meters (internal or external) in location?
    Also, meters is one of those tools that literally last you decades and the skills you learn form it can last you a life time.
    How many of you guys use a contrast viewing filter?


    ------------------

  10. #20
    MrObvious
    Guest MrObvious's Avatar

    Post

    I've thought about using a contrast filter... how do they work? Do you use one?

    Marc S.

    ------------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •